Saturday, April 26, 2008

The High Life

Last month we finally got a highchair for Charlie thanks to Brandon's mom! He loves it. I love it. Brandon loves it. We can finally eat a meal together as a family and retain a tiny bit of our sanity. It's a super cool wooden chair called a Keekaro that you can adjust to fit your child's height. In the last month since we got the chair, Charlie has started signing and saying a few food time related words. It's crazy how fast he is growing. He can do the signs for eat, juice, and milk and he can say eat, juice, and, cheese. Yeah, cheese. He is totally his mother's son. As soon as I pull the cheese out of the fridge he says cheese which I would try to write out phonetically for you but my skills with the phonetic alphabetic have deteriorated since I took English 223. It's kind of like he says a "ch" and an "s" sound all at the same time. Only Brandon and I can understand him but that's kind of the way it goes, right?

He's also developing a fierce sense of independence which clearly manifests itself at meal time. He desperately wants to feed himself with a spoon but he can't really keep the food on the spoon. Hence, the other morning he tried to pick-up the container of yogurt and drink it because he couldn't get it in his mouth fast enough. If I try to feed him, he spends the whole time trying the grab my spoon. So, this is what we have worked out. He gets a spoon; I get a spoon; and we take turns feeding him. It's time consuming but he is slowly figuring out how to feed himself and I slip him some food in between.

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

I love the pictures of C. in his high chair! And Jack refuses to eat unless he, too, is holding a utensil :)

Robertsons said...

he looks so old! i love it!!

Chelsea said...

Lookit those blue eyes!!