Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Children's Day Art Park

I learned something new about my son today: He really digs the sound of the washboard. The Austin Symphony hosts Children's Day Art Park at Symphony Square every Wednesday morning during the summer. Admission is a sweet $.50 for kids and adults are FREE! That sounded about the right price for me considering stuff like this is either an absolute hit or a total miss with Charlie. This Wednesday they were featuring Big Smith, self-proclaimed neo-hillbillies.



Charlie thought they were pretty cool until the guy with the washboard started his solo. Then eyes agog. Mouth agape. This was a-m-a-z-i-n-g. We came late so we only got to see a couple of numbers but now I'm severely tempted to buy their children's CD - From Hay to Zzzzzz: Hillbilly song for kids. Here is a picture of the crowd:




I just love all the white limestone around Austin. They had some art projects that kids could do but they were too old for Charlie. There was also a quartet that played some classical music mixed with classic kids tunes. Charlie doesn't look too impressed here but he really did get into it. He was just eying the lemonade stand. It was wicked hot and humid already at 10:30.




I swear I have better photography skills but every shot looks horrible when you are trying to keep an active one year old in the frame. Anywho, I think we will head back next Wednesday to see Cowgirl Sue.

2 comments:

Chelsea Junget said...

I was just thinking that it had been so long since you posted and I'm glad you are back!! How was your visit to NC?

Robertsons said...

i love that you are always doing stuff like that! PS I was in SLC the other weekend, past the dress shop & taco bell and got a little teary...good times