Monday, October 6, 2008

Creation

Once a year, we LDS ladies get to hear from our leaders in a General Relief Society Meeting that is broadcast across the globe. Last week, President Uchtdorf gave a sincerely moving talk that about our heritage of happiness. In one section he talked about the power of nuturing creativity. He said, "The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before."

I've really been feeling the need to express my creativity in the last little while. Perhaps, it's because my days are fairly routine and don't allow for much creativity. Creative dishwashing? I don't think so. Innovative diaper changing? Nah. Here are a couple things I have created in the past couple months that I feel pretty happy about. It was exciting to learn some new skilz.





I embroidered some flour sack towels for a few people at Christmas and they were pretty embarassing. I scorched the towels and ironed on the pattern through multiple layers of fabric. I am, after all, the self-proclaimed handicapped handicrafter. I love the pattern for this one. I think there is some serious herbicide about to go down.





We haven't named him yet. Any suggetions? I learned a lot from this project and am excited to start my next amigurumi project. It's an owl, in case you give a hoot. Yeah, I went there.



And my crowning creation...






"If you are a mother, you participate with God in His work of creation—not only by providing physical bodies for your children but also by teaching and nurturing them."

4 comments:

Kara said...

I love crafty Sue!

Your tea towels and pup are so cute. You need to keep it up.

PS-Charlie rocks the belted diaper look. Seriously.

Robertsons said...

he is looking so big!!

Chelsea Junget said...

I'd say he's the best crafty creation you could come up with!

Sonja said...

I love the personality you show in your blog!

By the way--how the heck did you get that Good Reads thingamajigger on your sidebar?