Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Pecan Hunting

Well, Fall is almost over and it makes me kinda sad. Ok. I'll admit it. I'm one of those people who gets sad around the holidays. I even made a mix on mixwit full of sad Christmas songs. I know. I'm a weirdie but any event for which there is a lot of anticipation always makes me feel deflated. Especially when I feel so far away from home. One thing that makes me happy right now is our pecan trees. We have two trees in our front yard and one in the back. Come November the trees start raining down pecans, especially when it's windy which is pretty often since we live on the plains. Each day is like an Easter Egg Hunt. Charlie and I go out and fill our pockets with these little brown treasures. It's great motivation to go out and get our little bit of Vitamin D everyday.

They start out in these little green buds.




And then they pop out and the pecans start to peek through.




Until they dry out and eventually the nuts fall out of their husks



Charlie pecan hunting



Brandon and Charlie love to crack them together and they snack as they go. Then we make yummy Cowboy Cookies - my new favorite cookie recipe or one of Brandon's favorite pies - Sweet Potato Pecan. Making that pie makes me feel like a Southern lady. I'm already starting to feel a little melancholy about leaving our first little home here in Lubbock and our trees. Charlie loves to sit up in the trees and pretend that he is driving a big truck. Now, he thinks that Mom is tall enough to put him up into any tree we happen to pass. It makes me sad to think that he won't remember this place where we first took him home from the hospital or walked him around the creaky hardwood floors to put him to sleep at night.




P.S. If you need an antidote to my sad post, try my old school R&B Christmas mix. James Brown singing Christmas songs? You can't go wrong.

7 comments:

V said...

I love all your mixes!!!!

jamesrivergirl said...

This post makes me very sad and very happy at the same time.
happy:
1. I learned something new! And love the photos. Very textbook...in a good way.
2. Cowboy Cookies. Oh man, oh man. I think I'm going to try my hand at making them. I hope they're as good as yours.
very sad:
I feel like I'll be leaving Camelot. What if we don't move to the same place? (a girl can dream) And it's depressing to think of you leaving at the same time as me. Too much change.

The Ashdowns said...

Are you moving? Is Carrie moving?

Durrett Family Band said...

Both the Brandons will be done with school in May. So, chances are we will be moving for a job. Sad, huh?

Unknown said...

Hello there! I'm glad I'm finding old friends from Lubbock here! let's keep in touch. Your blog is really really cute!
Angelica Benson

Chelsea Junget said...

Where are you? Update, lady!

Brittany said...

Hey Susan! I found you through Polly's blog...your little boy is so cute and I love the gnome costume! hahaha!